
Harriet, in case you were not aware, is a rock star. After a light breakfast of purple juice and purple jello, we loaded up the mermaid gear, the twin brother, his backpack full of cars, and went to OHSU for the pokes. Aaron met us there after dropping Jo off at school. He was there in time to see Harriet's mermaid doll getting her own IV as a warm-up act. Harriet then had her IV put in and was mostly distracted by iPhone games while (and I am not exaggerating here) sixteen gallons of blood were drawn to test her for every disease known to man. We then moved to the sedation room where I got to hold her as she fell asleep. Yes, there are times it would be nice to have some of that stuff at home.
I had to leave while they did the bone marrow aspiration, but I listened from the hallway through a crack in the door. The anesthesiologist was yapping away and telling stories. On planes I always listen for a note of panic in the pilot's voice when he talks about the turbulence, and if he sounds calm, it calms me. I was very reassured by Dr. Robins' obvious lack of concern. It was over quickly and I got to come in and watch her finish sleeping it off. I had the nurse put a nice pink band-aid over the boring brown one on her hip. She woke up asking for hot chocolate. The actual marrow harvest will be much longer, and more painful, but I am so glad to have one down. And, of course, glad to have a rock star for a daughter.

Could Harriet be any more amazing than she already is? Well yes of course because those nieces and nephews of mine astound at every turn. I'm so incredibly proud of Miss Etta. Aunt Chris loves you all.
ReplyDelete