So here we are. I had hoped we might be released tomorrow but then Samson got hotter tonight and was having trouble keeping food and medications down, so I'm sure we'll be here at least through Saturday night.
When a transplant patient, especially in this first 100 days, gets a fever, the doctors look for a blood infection (by drawing blood from the central line) and with Samson they look for signs of pneumonia, with an xray. Otherwise they wait and see what happens, usually for 24 to 48 hours after the last fever. We are 101.2 right now, so our clock hasn't started.
I am feeling more frustrated than worried. I think it will turn out to be one of those baby fevers with no real cause. My brother and nephew are here visiting from Memphis, which means I missed a really adorable cousin reunion at my house. And -- furthermore -- I spent last Memorial Day weekend in this very hospital, wrapping up one of Samson's early rounds of pneumonia. So I'm sure you can see that I deserve to be home again and soon. This is the pitch I made to the attending physician, Dr. Lamkin, who will decide whether he needs to observe us for 24 hours or more like 48 when the fever is done. We'll see how that works out.
Samson is just fine with our hospital visit; he seems to like the peace and quiet, and he smiled a little at his nurse friends. He does seem extra tired, a little more out of it than normal.

Being at home was overwhelming for Samson. The noise, the visual stimulation, the general craziness. It was a little anxious for me too. Being away from home for six weeks turned out to be a lot like leaving any job for six weeks. Some things piled up. And that was just background to figuring out the new routines of the new Samson, with his toolbox full of meds. But I felt that by Thursday we were starting to settle in. He had a good clinic appointment on Monday and again on Thursday - 1500 ANC with no GCSF help, plus platelets and red blood cells were up. All made by Samson's fancy new bone marrow.
One treat this week was that Aaron's sister was here helping. It was as close as I could have come to doubling myself for the week (only the good parts), which is just what I needed. And thank you for all your welcome home thoughts. Now, please help me wish this fever away.

Anne,
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you're back in the hospital, but happy to see the good test results from this week. One thing about your being in the hospital: you have time to write! I can certainly imagine the level of activity and excitement at home.
We are praying that this is, as you suspect, just a baby fever with no serious implications.
Hang in there! Love you, Gay
oh, no...I am so sorry. Maybe this minor fever will ward off any larger, scarier things. And feel free, in your frustration, to tell the hospital it's probably something he picked up from the *hospital* not from home!
ReplyDeleteLove to all of you,
Ashley
fever, fever go away...good temp, good temp here to stay. xoxo
ReplyDelete